White Owls welcomes customers with disabilitiesAt White Owls we pride ourselves on delivering great service to all of our customers, including the disabled. Our Lodges meet the modern standards recommended within the UK for providing a service to persons with a disability. If you wish to clarify any aspect of the service available, please telephone us, where we will be happy to provide further advice for you.
Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) StatementWhite Owls is continually striving to exceed our customers’ expectations – whether they are able bodied or have disabilities. This extends to the way in which we are complying with the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
Physical environmentDuring our refurbishment programme we have improved our physical environments, giving better wheelchair access, more easily accessible general facilities. New buildings and extensions to existing premises always comply with current best practice. We have put in place policies and procedures to ensure we meet our customers’ needs and do all that is reasonable to comply with the Act.
TrainingWe recognise that it is not merely physical barriers that can cause difficulties for our customers. Our employees have been trained, as part of their basic training, to understand the challenges customers with disabilities may face and so they can ensure their needs are met. This is an ongoing process and will continue to evolve and develop as we strive to meet our own ever-higher standards.
CommunicationThrough our White Owls website, we aim to inform our guests of facilities that are in place, as well as detailing any physical barriers or facilities which are not available for any reason.
Continual improvementWe aim to ensure that our facilities are at the same standard at the same point in time. Our approach is to make improvements progressively and to ensure that when we do make changes to a property it is appropriate for the needs of all our disabled guests. Inevitably this will mean that some services may be less accessible than others in the shorter term, but it is important that we use our resources to achieve the best possible results for the whole range of the disabled community.
FeedbackThis information should assist you in understanding our strategy and the action we have taken in relation to our premises and staff training. We also hope that if you are a guest with a disability you will recognise that we are committed to assisting you as much as possible. However, if you have any queries or wish to highlight any aspect of our services that are not meeting your needs, please contact us on 01202 821772.
PrinciplesThe following principles have been adopted by White Owls:
- Any new acquisitions will be assessed for compliance and, if required, a plan put in place to upgrade them to our current standard. New premises will meet the needs of the disabled community – not only those who have mobility impairments or are wheelchair users, but also those who have learning disabilities, may be visually or hearing impaired or have other conditions which may make it difficult to use our services.
- We have completed Access assessments of our premises where we are solely responsible and have instigated adequate improvements to our property.
- We ensure that our employees are appropriately trained in the needs of our disabled customers, including ensuring that they are aware of the needs for emergency escape in the case of fire.
- We will ensure menus can be understood by providing large print menus, or someone to read them if requested. At service points reserved parking, level access to our premises and the like will be provided, wherever reasonable.
- Where possible we will ensure that a fully accessible toilet is provided.
- We will monitor our performance by extending our mystery guest programme and incorporate DDA compliance checks into our established review processes to evaluate service levels to customers with disabilities and take action to address any areas that we believe are inadequate.